Friday 11 March 2011

Despatch from the front # 5

Apollo Bay


Isn't the light fabulous?

This is the beach we came down to after driving across the grazing district and through the rain forest. The mist made it all look so pretty. Those folk on the beach are running in their wet suits after their swim in the ocean. If you look carefully you can see two ancient dogs running too. What a life! There were many grey-haired couples in their late 50s and early 60s with the biggest smiles on their faces.

After checking into our guest house we went to dinner.

Australians were not raised to be servants. “Yes, if you ask me nicely I’ll get you some bread", said our waiter at dinner, huh!?! Waiters are paid by the hour; tipping is not usual so they don’t seem to want to please that much. I had to move so our waiter could put down my plate and there were only two of us. Heaven forbid that she should step to my other side to put my plate down. There was the whole other side of the table. We were sitting on the foot path, oh well...... maybe we will have better luck tomorrow. For dinner I had a lovely Blue Eye (fish) with lots of crunchy greens. Edward had marinated kangaroo loin. It was too tough for me but not gamey at all. I wonder if it is wild. There are gazillions of ‘roos here. We saw a dead one on the side of the road and a very squashed echidna too. This evening outside our guest house room there were flocks of budgies and a parrot or two in the Warratah (flowering shrub). The birds are unbelievable.

1 comment:

  1. You are definitely getting your Euros worth from your Paris raincoat!!

    ReplyDelete