Monday 21 March 2011

Despatch # 8 Annie's Place

Queensland with Annie

After arriving at Maroochydore airport north of Brisbane Annie and I drove up the coast to the Sunshine Coast Surf Club for lunch.

This is a picture of Annie's house in the Queensland hinterland. She lives in a modern Queenslander-style house that she designed. The land falls away behind where it is supported by stilts. Underneath the house is her studio complete with two glass kilns. Annie works in stained glass making plates and exquisite jewellery.

Annie has a pool behind her house. It is a magnesium and potassium chloride pool. The water is so soft and kind to the skin. It isn't harsh like chlorine or saltwater. So my skin wasn't dry nor did my eyes hurt. Magnesium is very good for us and is best absorbed transdermally.

There is a verandah along the back of the house. All the bedrooms and the living area have sliding glass doors that open onto the verandah and over look the pool. Annie has put in many stained glass windows. Her house is truly a gem.

There was a resident python (Mrs. Python moved on after an altercation with an opossum) that lived in a shrub near the back stairs. She kept the rats and mice populations in check. Also very large huntsman tarantula spiders live around and sometimes in Annie's house. I had to sleep with the sliding glass door closed in case the critters wanted to wander in during the night. The spiders manage to get in anyway. I awoke at 2:00 am one morning to one on the wall. It looked like this.
I left my spider alone. Annie presented hers to me at breakfast one morning. She found it in her bedroom.


We spent a night at her parents' unit in Noosa Heads which is a lovely resort town. There was a surfing festival on at the time. I have included a photo of a flowering gum from a neighbour's garden and a picture of the unit from the pool. (Ooops that photo didn't make it.)


Annie cooked a lovely meal for us on my last night. We had yellow snapper. I have had red snapper but never a yellow one. Here it is.

Thanks Annie. It won't be so long between visits next time, my love.

3 comments:

  1. WHAT ???
    There seem to be some frightening natives to deal with @ Annie's ~
    Her house and adventures sound just lovely ... though ...
    We're wishing you some great days with Teddy ~ and a super journey home Erlen ~
    With love
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, it's a bit scary. I was very careful where I stepped when going for awalk along the riding path through the bush.
    Not so many critters here in Bathurst NSW but one could find them if one tried.
    It is a lovely sunny day here, not humid and a pleasant 31 degrees C.
    Kelle sent me a photo of a snowy street in front of her house near me.
    I would really like the snow to be gone by next week. Can you manage it please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you strawberry-punnetted the spider outside - they are your best friends, the bigger the better. They eat lotsa flies, mozzies and other insects. They are always welcome around my home.

    ReplyDelete